Sexual assault is never okay. Even though some survivors can remain silent for years before sharing their stories, the act is in no way acceptable.
In the past, however, the issue seemed to get overlooked. Many women were subjected to being sexually harassed and assaulted by men who felt they were right and were seeking positions of power.
Sadly, years have passed with a society that would rather sweep things under the rug than face these wrongdoings head on. Without support, even powerful women fell into the silence that follows a sexual assault.
Today’s world is changing, but unfortunately, sexual assault still happens every day. People are starting to talk more about this, but it’s still not getting to a point where there’s a solution.
As long as sexual harassment and assault continues to happen, and as long as people still think it’s okay, even a little bit, then everyone is still in danger of this happening to them.
We need to listen to the survivors as they gather the untold amount of courage it takes to speak up and say “me too”. We need to fight for people who can’t fight for themselves. Something has to be done to make a change.
Ignoring sexual assault is not okay: trying to make it go away and knowing about it without doing anything about it isn’t going to change anything. We are human and we all deserve to be treated with respect.
So check out these powerful quotes to encourage you to continue the fight against victim humiliation, sexual assault, and bullying.
1. “Don’t be ashamed of your story, it will inspire others.” – Anonymous
You are inspiring.
2. “But no matter how much evil you see, I think it’s important for everyone to understand that there is much more light than darkness.” —Roberto Uttaro
You deserve peace.
3. “I can be changed by what happens to me, but I refuse to be reduced by it.” — maya angelou
you have strength
4. “There is no time stamp on trauma. There is no formula you can insert yourself into to go from horror to healing. Be patient. Take space. Let your journey be the balm.” — Dawn Serra
You are resilient.
5. “You are not a victim for sharing your story. You are a survivor setting the world on fire with your truth. And you never know who needs your light, your warmth, and your courage.” —Alex Elle
You are a survivor.
6. “You took away my value, my privacy, my energy, my time, my security, my privacy, my confidence, my own voice…until now.” – Anonymous
you are powerful
7. “She was powerful, not because she wasn’t afraid, but because she kept going so hard despite the fear.” — Attic
You look fear straight in the eye.
8. “Today in science class I learned that every cell in our body is replaced every seven years. How beautiful it is to know that one day I will have a body that you have never touched.” —LM
You deserve to feel free.
9. “I’ve survived. I’m here. Confused, fucked up, but here. So how can I find my way? Is there a soul chainsaw, an ax that can take away my memories or fears?” — Laurie Halse Anderson, “Speak”
You can move forward.
10. “I am not what happened to me. I am what I choose to be.” -Carl Jung
There is life beyond this.
Related Stories from YourTango:
11. “Our job is not to deny history, but to defy the end: stand up strong, acknowledge our history, and wrestle with the truth until we reach a point where we think, ‘Yes. This is what happened. This is my truth. And I will choose how this story ends.'” brene brown“Rising Strong”
The truth is the truth.
12. “I’ll never understand why it’s more embarrassing to be raped than to be a rapist.” – Anonymous
You don’t deserve to feel any shame.
13. “Something will grow out of everything you’re going through. And it will be you.” – Anonymous
You can get stronger.
If you or someone you know is the victim of sexual harassment, assault, and/or abuse, you are not alone. Visit RAINN.org for resources or call 1-800-656-HOPE (4673).
Molly Given is a writer and lover of all things mystery and magic in life. When she’s not writing her fingers, she can be found planning her next adventure in a new part of the world.