Nov 14 (Reuters) – Argentina will seek to win a third World Cup headline on Nov 20-Dec. Tournament 18 in Qatar. Here’s what you need to know about his squad:
HOW MANY PLAYERS CAN ARGENTINA BRING TO QATAR?
* Teams will be able to select up to 26 players for this year’s World Cup after FIFA increased the maximum limit for teams to three in June, citing the unusual timing of the tournament and the impact of COVID-19.
* Managers have until November 14 to decide on their final 26-player roster by 18:00 GMT.
WHO IS IN THE ARGENTINA SQUAD FOR THE 2022 WORLD CUP?
Argentina’s roster was announced on November 11.
* Goalkeepers: Emiliano Martínez (Aston Villa), Franco Armani (River Plate) and Gerónimo Rulli (Villarreal)
Aston Villa’s Martinez was Argentina’s first-choice goalkeeper for much of their qualifying campaign and will likely keep his place between the sticks in Qatar.
* Defenders: Gonzalo Montiel (Sevilla), Nahuel Molina (Atletico Madrid), German Pezzella (Real Betis), Cristian Romero (Tottenham Hotspur), Nicolas Otamendi (Benfica), Lisandro Martinez (Manchester United), Juan Foyth (Villarreal), Nicolas Tagliafico (Olympique Lyonnais), Marcos Acuna (Seville)
Romero will be one of the first names on the squad sheet after a string of impressive performances for Tottenham Hotspur, but the 24-year-old has missed a few games in recent weeks with a hamstring injury.
Manchester United’s veteran centre-back Otamendi and Martínez bring solidity and composure to the back line.
* Midfielders: Leandro Paredes (Juventus), Guido Rodriguez (Real Betis), Enzo Fernandez (Benfica), Rodrigo De Paul (Atletico Madrid), Exequiel Palacios (Bayer Leverkusen), Alejandro Gomez (Sevilla), Alexis Mac Allister (Brighton & Hove) Albion)
Paredes and De Paul will be crucial in midfield, but Argentina will miss the injured Giovani Lo Celso, who Scaloni said is “irreplaceable”.
* Forwards: Paulo Dybala (AS Roma), Lionel Messi (Paris St Germain), Ángel Di María (Juventus), Nicolás González (Fiorentina), Joaquín Correa (Inter Milan), Lautaro Martínez (Inter Milan), Julián Álvarez (Manchester City) ) )
Messi will lead the line for Argentina in their quest to add an elusive World Cup winner’s medal to their list of accomplishments. Injured striker Dybala also made the cut, despite not playing for his club AS Roma since early October.
WHAT ARE SOME NOTABLE OMISSIONS?
* Argentina will be without the services of Lo Celso after the midfielder suffered a hamstring injury last month while playing for Villarreal.
* Manchester United winger Alejandro Garnacho, 18, who has made seven appearances for the club this season, will be absent. He was called up by Argentina in March, but has not yet made his debut in the senior category.
WHAT TEAMS WILL ARGENTINA FACE IN THE GROUP STAGE?
* Argentina will face Saudi Arabia, Mexico and Poland in Group C.
* Argentina will play a preparation match against the United Arab Emirates on November 16.
WHAT WAS THE ARGENTINA SQUAD IN THE 2018 WORLD CUP?
* Goalkeepers: Nahuel Guzman (Tigres), Willy Caballero (Chelsea), Franco Armani (River Plate)
* Defenders: Gabriel Mercado (Sevilla), Federico Fazio (Roma), Nicolás Otamendi (Manchester City), Marcos Rojo (Manchester United), Nicolás Taglafico (Ajax), Javier Mascherano (Hebei Fortune), Marcos Acuña (Sporting Lisbon), Cristian Ansaldi (Turin).
* Midfielders: Ever Banega (Sevilla), Lucas Biglia (AC Milan), Angel Di Maria (Paris St-Germain), Giovani Lo Celso (Paris St-Germain), Manuel Lanzini (West Ham), Cristian Pavon (Boca Juniors), Maximiliano Meza (Independent), Eduardo Salvio (Benfica).
* Forwards: Lionel Messi (Barcelona), Gonzalo Higuain (Juventus), Paulo Dybala (Juventus), Sergio Agüero (Manchester City).
Compiled by Aadi Nair in Bengaluru Edited by Christian Radnedge
Our standards: The Thomson Reuters Trust Principles.