Last update: Nov 19, 2022, 06:10am IST
WOMEN’S ENTREPRENEURSHIP DAY 2022: Every year on November 19, Women’s Entrepreneur Day is commemorated to recognize the efforts of women entrepreneurs and highlight their contributions to society. Lack of education, cultural pressure, access to capital and mentoring, and gender restrictions still limit the growth of women entrepreneurs despite the progress they have made since the Industrial Revolution.
Today’s women are making it big in startups or venturing out on their own as freelancers or independent consultants. Being an entrepreneur allows women the opportunity to set their own hours, earn their own money, and follow their passions, which has increased the number of women who are willing to take risks.
WOMEN’S ENTREPRENEURSHIP DAY: HISTORY
The United Nations and more than 120 nations celebrate Women’s Entrepreneurship Day, organized by WEDO (Women’s Entrepreneurship Day Organization). Wendy Diamond, founder of Pet Pioneer, Animal Fair Media and Ellis Island Medal of Honor recipient, conceived and launched Día de la Mujer Emprendedora after serving in Honduras with Fundación Adelante, which offers microloans to low-income women.
The United Nations hosted the inaugural event, while a few more events were held simultaneously in various other nations. Initially, the first WED in 2014 was recognized by 144 nations in total.
WOMEN’S ENTREPRENEURSHIP DAY: MEANING
The aim of celebrating Women’s Entrepreneur Day is to support and empower women in business and inspire them to fight poverty. Women who pursue entrepreneurship learn to make powerful decisions that will benefit their own social and financial position. Women from many sectors who have broken new ground are honored with the WEDO Pioneer Awards on Women’s Entrepreneurship Day.
WOMEN’S ENTREPRENEURSHIP DAY: APPOINTMENTS
- “There is no limit to what we as women can achieve.” — Michelle Obama
- “Follow your passion, and if you don’t know what it is, realize that one of the reasons for your existence on earth is to find it.” —Oprah Winfrey
- “I want every girl who has been told they are bossy to be told again that they have leadership skills.” —sheryl SandbergOperations Director at Facebook
- “Fearlessness is not the absence of fear. It is the mastery of fear. It is about getting up one more time than we fall down ”. —Arianna Huffingtoneditor-in-chief of The Huffington Post
- “Build the success of your business around something you love, something that is intrinsically and infinitely interesting to you.” —Martha stuartbusinesswoman, writer and television personality
read all latest lifestyle news here