A reportedly 18-foot-long python was spotted on a quiet Hampshire street yesterday morning.
Footage shows the light-colored snake slithering over roof tiles and through an open window near Southampton.
Horrified locals spotted the animal around 5:30am, before people inside the house began poking at it with a broom.
A woman who lives across the street saw her neighbors in Chandlers Ford, Eastleigh attempt to remove the animal from their home and eventually force it to the ground through the hood of a car, making a “thud thud”.
Jenny Warwick, 62, was shocked to notice the creature and was initially unable to persuade her husband that a loose snake was in their path.
“I saw something on the ceiling and I thought it must be a plastic tube, but then his head started moving,” he explained.
‘I told my husband, Steven, but he said ‘don’t be silly’.
‘I have a dog named Rodney, and he was really barking and freaking out.’
Mrs Warwick continued: “I asked a neighbor outside if they could see anything on the ceiling because I didn’t have my glasses on and I wasn’t sure if I was seeing things.”
“We realized that it was definitely a snake and it was moving all over the ceiling trying to find a way to get down.”
‘My husband hates snakes and couldn’t get to work fast enough.
“It’s not what you want to see first thing in the morning, I think it’s very irresponsible to let it loose.”
Although one local estimated the animal to be 18 feet long and weigh six stone, it’s unclear exactly how big it is.
the Southern Daily Echo reported that the snake had been seen in Ribble Close and said that a local pet store had identified it as an albino Burmese python.
Ms Warwick said she saw people in the house pushing the animal out of a window before it hit a Hyundai i10 hatchback below.
Then another neighbor is said to have ‘cared for’ him in his conservatory until his owner finally arrived to put an end to his exotic pet’s grand escape.
Neighbors in the area decided to knock on the door of a neighbor who used to have snakes, thinking it might be hers.
Brit falls off a cliff to her death after losing control of a mobility scooter in Benidorm
The woman, who did not want to be named, said: ‘I was woken up by people banging on my door talking about a snake on the road.
It wasn’t mine, but I said they could leave it in my conservatory until I woke up.
‘It is a very dangerous snake and it is huge.
‘I felt bad when my friend told me he was trying to break into someone’s house.
There could be a baby in there or something.
She added: “I used to have snakes and I know when they’re hungry they can get nasty.”
“I was bitten by my python several times.
“It was a large 18-foot snake and must have been six stones at least.”
The woman then called the snake’s owner and he eventually showed up to take it home, which was a short drive away.
Last month, the RSPCA warned that snakebites are becoming more common in the UK due to the rise of exotic pets.
The organization is aware of the Chandlers Ford incident.
Its chief scientific officer, Evie Button, said: “Snakes are excellent escape artists and will take the opportunity of a gap in an enclosure door, or a loose lid to escape.”
‘Last year, we received over 1,200 snake reports, with the highest number of calls occurring during the summer months.
Snakes become more active during hot weather. Therefore, we urge all pet snake owners to be extra vigilant at this time of year, invest in an enclosure suitable for the particular species, and ensure that the enclosure is kept secure, and locked if necessary, when be unattended.
She continued: ‘The RSPCA urges prospective owners of reptiles such as snakes to fully investigate the needs of the particular species and what is required in the care of the animal, using expert sources.
“People should only consider getting a snake if they can be sure they can meet these needs.”
Do you have a story? Get in touch with our news team by emailing us at [email protected] Or you can submit your videos and images here.
For more stories like this, check out our news page.
MORE: Two missing companion dogs found… inside the belly of a 22-foot python