New twist in the Pogba extortion investigation, with videos of his brother

article content

PARIS (AP) — A police investigation into allegations that French soccer star Paul Pogba was targeted by extortionists took a strange new turn Friday with the publication by one of the suspects, his older brother Mathias, of a long series of videos targeting the 2018 World Cup Winner, his entourage and wealthy lifestyle.

More than 30 videos of Mathias Pogba reading a multi-page statement on camera were posted on Twitter.

Announcement 2

article content

It was unclear exactly when the videos were shot. But it may have been before Mathias Pogba turned himself in for police questioning last week. According to reports, he has been in custody ever since.

See also  Frustrated travelers can't get their luggage out of Paris Charles de Gaulle airport: 'I felt like I was robbed'

His attorney did not immediately respond to questions from The Associated Press.

Shooting the videos appears to have been a time-consuming exercise, because Mathias Pogba was wearing three different jerseys.

“If you’re watching this video it will be because my brother Paul Pogba has found a way to silence me,” said Mathias Pogba in the first of the series. “I record this video so that whatever happens, everything is revealed.”

The words “insurance video, kept in a safe place” were written on top of many of the videos. They followed earlier posts on social media where Mathias Pogba had threatened to make explosive revelations about his brother, who plays for Juventus following his departure from Manchester United.

Announcement 3

article content

Mathias Pogba and four others received preliminary charges last Saturday and were jailed in the extortion investigation, French prosecutors said.

In the latest series of recordings, Mathias Pogba accused his billionaire brother of abandoning members of his family, leaving them in poverty.

He also claimed that the midfielder was mixing with criminals and repeated claims that Paul Pogba hired a witch doctor. He did not provide any evidence to substantiate his accusations.

According to Mathias Pogba’s latest claims, the witch doctor is close to former France international Alou Diarra, and Paul Pogba was introduced to him by former PSG defender Serge Aurier.

He said that over the years, the France midfielder has spent millions of euros on the witch doctor’s services, asking him, for example, to help France win the 2018 World Cup or cast a spell on rival footballers.

See also  PHOTOS: In this nomadic tribe in Iran, women persevere despite the difficulties

Announcement 4

article content

Mathias Pogba had previously said that his brother had targeted Kylian Mbappe without being more specific. In his latest videos, he claimed that Paul Pogba asked the witcher to “neutralize” Mbappe for the second leg of a Champions League match between PSG and Manchester United in 2019. United had won that game 3- 1 to advance to the quarterfinals. .

The videos were also accompanied by a series of Twitter posts and a statement addressed to Paul Pogba. The first post in the long thread said it was automatically sent by “my bot”.

RECOMMENDED VIDEO

We’re sorry, but this video could not be loaded.

“That also means that I am no longer free,” the message read.

Mathias Pogba said his life is now in danger because his brother has “betrayed his minions”, who are targeting his entourage in retaliation. Mathias Pogba said that some of his relatives “have already been attacked and shot” because of his brother.

ad 5

article content

The Paris prosecutor’s office opened an investigation last month into allegations that Paul Pogba, who scored one of France’s goals in the 2018 World Cup final, was the subject of an extortion plot by his brother and childhood friends who demanded 13 million euros ($13 million) from him. Mathias Pogba has denied involvement in the scheme.

According to the RTL broadcaster, which cited the report of the police investigation, the group of people took advantage of the player’s money for years, benefiting, for example, from investments worth hundreds of thousands of euros in a hamburger restaurant. RTL reported on its website that the threats and demands for €13 million allegedly started when Paul Pogba decided to stop the money at the end of January this year.

See also  One of the men involved in the robbery of Kim Kardashian in Paris says he deserved it

Mathias Pogba had a modest football career as a forward with lower-tier teams in England and other European countries.

——

Petrequin reported from Brussels.

——

More AP soccer: https://apnews.com/hub/soccer and https://twitter.com/AP–Sports

Announcement 1

Comments

Postmedia is committed to maintaining a lively but civil discussion forum and encourages all readers to share their thoughts on our articles. Comments can take up to an hour to be moderated before appearing on the site. We ask that you keep your comments relevant and respectful. We’ve enabled email notifications – you’ll now receive an email if you receive a reply to your comment, there’s an update in a comment thread you follow, or if a user you follow comments. Visit our Community Guidelines for more information and details on how to adjust your email settings.