North Carolina court upholds Asheville’s removal of Vance’s obelisk

know about North Carolina court upholds Asheville’s removal of Vance’s obelisk

A decision by a western North Carolina town to remove a downtown monument honoring a Civil War-era governor was upheld Tuesday by the state Court of Appeals. group. The North Carolina 26 Troops Historic Preservation Society opposes the demolition of the obelisk honoring former Governor Zebulon Vance in Asheville. The Asheville City Council voted in March 2021 to remove the Pack Square Plaza structure. The 75-foot (23-meter) obelisk was dismantled before the Court of Appeals ordered the city and county of Buncombe in June to halt demolition while appeals were heard. Therefore, the base of the monument remained in place. The society had reached a formal agreement in 2015 with the city to restore the monument, according to Tuesday’s opinion. The society raised more than $138,000 for that project, but that contract did not require city officials to preserve the 1897 obelisk, as the society maintains, Appeals Court Judge John Arrowood wrote. Instead, the contract “was for the donation of restoration work, which was completed prior to (Asheville’s) decision to remove the Vance Monument,” Arrowood wrote, defending Thornburg’s firing on the grounds that a breach claim of contract was insufficient. Chief Justice Donna Stroud and Justice April Wood agreed with Arrowood’s ruling. Vance, who was born in Buncombe County, served as governor from 1862 to 1865 and from 1877 to 1879. He was also a Confederate military officer and a United States Senator. The city has said the monument is located on a site where enslaved people are believed to have been sold. The monument was one of many Confederate statues and memorials that have been removed across the South since 2020 amid racial justice protests.

See also  Biden promises executive orders on abortion. His options are limited.

A decision by a western North Carolina town to remove a downtown monument honoring a Civil War-era governor was upheld Tuesday by the state Court of Appeals.

An appeals panel unanimously affirmed Superior Court Judge Alan Thornburg’s decision last year to dismiss a lawsuit brought by a historic preservation group. The North Carolina 26th Troop Historic Preservation Society opposes the demolition of the obelisk in honor former Governor Zebulon Vance in Asheville.

The Asheville City Council voted in March 2021 to remove the Pack Square Plaza structure. The 23-meter (75-foot) tall obelisk was dismantled before the The Court of Appeals told the city and county of Buncombe in June to stop the demolition. while listening to the resources. So the base of the monument has remained in place.

The society had reached a formal agreement in 2015 with the city to restore the monument, according to Tuesday’s opinion. The society raised more than $138,000 for that project, but that contract did not require city officials to preserve the 1897 obelisk, as the society maintains, Court of Appeals Judge John Arrowood wrote.

Instead, the contract “was for the donation of restoration work, which was completed prior to (Asheville’s) decision to remove the Vance Monument,” Arrowood wrote in defending Thornburg’s firing on the grounds of breach of contract. Head Judge Donna Stroud and Judge April Wood agreed with Arrowood’s decision.

Vance, who was born in Buncombe County, served as governor from 1862 to 1865 and from 1877 to 1879. He was also a Confederate military officer and a United States Senator. The city has said the monument is located on a site where enslaved people are believed to have been sold.

See also  Colorado Reproductive Rights Bill Moves to Senate and Heads to Governor's Desk

The monument was one of many Confederate statues and memorials that have been removed across the South since 2020 amid racial justice protests.