Women’s Equality Day 2021: The day is celebrated annually in the United States to mark women’s progress toward equality with men.
On this day in 1920, the Nineteenth Amendment to the United States Constitution was adopted, granting women the right to vote. This law prevented the federal government and states from preventing people from having the right to vote based on their sex. The day also celebrates the achievements of women’s rights activists and reminds us of the daily struggles women face.
Women’s Equality Day: Quotes
1. “I measure the progress of a community by the degree of progress that women have achieved.” -BR Ambedkar
2. “No person is your friend who demands your silence, or denies your right to grow.” -Alice Walker
3. “Feminism is not about making women strong. Women are already strong. It’s about changing how the world perceives that strength.” -GD Anderson
4. “Define success on your own terms, achieve it by your own rules, and build a life you are proud to live.” -Anne Sweny
5. “I am not free while no woman is free, even when her shackles are very different from mine.” -Audre Lorde
6. “Human rights are women’s rights, and women’s rights are human rights.” – Hillary Clinton
7. “It’s time we all see gender as a spectrum instead of two opposing sets of ideals.” -Emma Watson
8. “When girls are educated, their countries become stronger and more prosperous.” -Michelle Obama
9. “Change happens through understanding, and one of my greatest hopes is that our next generation of children will grow up in a world with more compassion.” -Jazz Jennings
10. “Freedom cannot be achieved unless women have emancipated themselves from all kinds of oppression.”- Nelson Mandela
11. “I raise my voice, not to shout, but so the voiceless can be heard… We can’t all succeed when half of us are left behind.” -Malala Yousafzai
12. “There’s something so special about a woman who dominates in a world of men. It takes a certain grace, strength, intelligence, bravery, and the courage to never take no for an answer.” -Rihanna
13. “If women are expected to do the same work as men, we must teach them the same things.” – Plato, The Republic
14. “It took me a long time to develop a voice, and now that I have it, I’m not going to shut up.” -Madeleine Albright
15. “I want every girl to know that her voice can change the world.” – Malala Fund
Women’s Equality Day: wishes and messages
1. If you limit a woman, then you are not a human being. Happy Women’s Equality Day!
2. Rise above the norms of society and educate those who still think that women are inferior to men. Happy Women’s Equality Day!
3. Only a woman can understand another woman. May sisterhood flourish, ladies! Happy Women’s Equality Day!
4. If you can fly up to the sky, I can go even high. Happy Women’s Equality Day!
5. We can get what we want, we don’t need anyone’s subsidy. Happy Women’s Equality Day!
6. A beautiful woman draws strength from problems, smiles during anguish, and is strengthened by prayers and hope. You’re one of them. We wish you a very Happy Women’s Equality Day!
7. A woman can be whatever she wants as long as she decides never to fear anyone. Happy Women’s Equality Day to all the strong women out there.
8. An egalitarian world is an empowered world. We wish you a very Happy Women’s Equality Day!
9. We need to live in a culture that values, respects, admires, and idolizes women as much as men. Happy Women’s Equality Day!
10. There is no limit to what we as women can achieve. Happy Women’s Equality Day!
11. The best protection a woman can have is courage. We wish you a very Happy Women’s Equality Day!
12. All women are like the Full Circle: They have the power to create, Nourish and Transform! Happy Women’s Equality Day!
13. It is not easy to be a woman. You have to keep fighting for your rights. You have to tell the world that you are no less. Warm wishes on Women’s Equality Day!
14. No one can make you feel inferior without your permission. Warm wishes on Women’s Equality Day!
15. I am grateful to be a woman. I must have done something great in another life. Happy Women’s Equality Day!
Women’s Equality Day: Poem
Equality and Vision
We respect ourselves
where we once crouched
With guilt, second prize ribbons and a
Countertop lined with ingredients for cooking.
We stand tall in the glow ensuring the
Right to vote, as we move toward visions of
Our equality with muscular forces –
Let’s see the vision soon without wearing glasses,
Even inside the walls of the house where the cameras don’t go.
There is still work to be done, as we strive to
Equal pay and we are obsessed with the
Memories of physical and emotional abuse,
Of years gone by, months gone by, and this morning.
There are bodies that choose to chain us.
We speak louder with each passing day,
Strive for a volume that breaks windows of
Indifference. We don’t miss opportunities
Honor and represent the women who
They have brought us to the path we walk today.
We thank these women, we follow in their footsteps and
We stretch your shoe size a little more with
Every day that passes.
I hope we honor them well.
by Christy Birmingham