Walsh scores in overtime Union beats RIT 3-2 again

get complete details of Walsh scores in overtime Union beats RIT 3-2 again

from here, checkout more details.

SCHENECTADY, ​​NY – For the second consecutive game, first year Riley Walsh scored the winner of overtime with 58 seconds remaining as the Union College women’s hockey team extended its unbeaten streak to three straight games with a 3-2 victory over the Rochester Institute of Technology on Friday afternoon at Messa Rink.

Walsh scored her sixth team-leading goal of the season and her second consecutive game-winning goal, becoming the first player in program history to score multiple overtime winners in a season.

Junior Celeste Beaudoin and second year paige greco each found the score sheet with goals. Class mate Ashley Adams intervened with two assists, seniors king emily Y Carmen Merlo also counted assists, and the freshmen Stephanie Bourque Y maren friday He also added assists.

The win improves Union’s unbeaten streak to three games, the longest since December 2014 when the Dutch were also unbeaten for three games (2-0-1).

The Tigers broke a scoreless tie with 3:30 left in the first period, when Amy Dobson found the loose puck at the top of the crease and buried it past the sophomore. sophia matsoukas for a 1-0 lead. Union outscored RIT 14-11 in the period. Union went 0-1 on the power play and 1-2 on the penalty kick.

The Dutch turned the tide late in the second period, scoring twice on the power play to take the lead. Following a hooking penalty on RIT’s Bailey Kehl, Union won the matchup and Greco scored in a high slot off Merlo’s shot pass. After the Tigers were called in for a body check, Union scored again 90 seconds later when Beaudoin took a pass from Bourque and beat goalkeeper Sarah Coe under the glove with a wrist shot from the top of the circle. This was Beaudoin’s third goal of the season, with King and Bourque earning the assists.

See also  Why do men and women cheat in marriage? This is what a relationship expert says

Union led 27-22 in the shooting category after 40 minutes of going 2-2 on the penalty kick and 2-3 on the power play.

The Tigers and the Dutch traded chances in the third period, with Union holding their one-goal lead until the very last minute. RIT found the back of the net with the extra spiker with 57 seconds left in the period to tie score two and send Union into overtime for the third straight game.

RIT had a great chance to win the game in extra time when Union was whistled for a penalty, but the home team finished off the four-on-three to keep the score level. As each team traded shots and opportunities in search of the game winner, Friday won a puck battle on the near side and passed the puck to Adams. Adams ran across the ice with Friday and Walsh. Adams’ wrist shot was initially stopped and a one-kneed Walsh buried the rebound over the goalie’s glove for the game winner.

The Dutch improved to 5-5-1 overall and have matched their win total from a year ago. Union out shot RIT 43-36 in the game. The Dutch went 2-4 on power play opportunities. The penalty went 5-6 on the night, including a massive 5v3 in the second period and another penalty again in extra time.

Matsoukas stopped 34 of 36 shots to earn his fifth win of the season.

Union (5-5-1, 1-2-1) and RIT will return to the ice tomorrow starting at 3 pm at Messa Rink. Union will participate in their Pink At The Rink game tomorrow, the first 1,500 fans in the game will receive a rally towel courtesy of New Country Lexus of Latham.

See also  How It All Started - Texas A&M Athletics